Young Tradition Vermont continues its Youth Commission program. The Youth Commission is a group of high school-aged musicians who play and sing in traditional styles. They begin rehearsals in the fall, and performances starting in January, continuing into spring and summer, including the annual Young Tradition Festival in Burlington in early May.
Each year, a teen is selected to lead the Youth Commission for the year (September through the following spring and summer). The teen is charged with creating a small ensemble (four to five members) and a program of original compositions and/or arrangements with a variety of mentors and master artists. The program is presented at concerts, festivals, celebrations and other events, both in person when possible and/or online.
The commissioned artist for 2021/2022 is Hadley Stockwell from Charlotte, Vermont, a junior at CVU High School in Hinesburg. She has been playing the fiddle for nine years and the trumpet for six. She has been a member of the YTV Touring Group and Youth Commission for several years, and has done performances tours in Cape Breton, Scotland, and New York City.
Hadley and the ensemble represent YTV as ambassadors starting in January and continue into the spring and summer.
Meet the Ensemle:
- Hadley: My name is Hadley Stockwell, and I live in Charlotte, VT. I am seventeen years old and am currently a junior at CVU. I am this year’s Youth Commission leader and play the fiddle!
- Lilly: My name is Lilly Greenwood. I’m 17 years old and am a junior at CVU. I play the bass and saxophone.
- Winslow: I am Winslow Solomon, and I live in Richmond, Vermont. I am fourteen years old and go to Vermont Commons School. I play fiddle and banjo.
- Ben: My name is Ben Munkres. I am 17 years old and live in Cornwall (near Middlebury). I play piano along with various other assorted instruments (including accordion) for traditional music and I play French horn in the Vermont Youth Orchestra.
- Maeve: My name is Maeve Fairfax, and I live in Burlington Vermont. I go to Burlington High School, and I’m 17 years old. I play the fiddle and flute, and I sing!
- Fiona: My name is Fiona Stowell and I’m 16 years old. I live and am homeschooled in Warren. I play fiddle, mandolin, sing, and do Celtic dance! I am so excited to be playing with such a fun group of musicians after not being able to get together for so long.
Registration Required — This program will be presented in-person and virtually. (*) To reserve your seat, please call 802-899-4962. (**) To register for the virtual livestream, please go to: https://drmlhost.wufoo.com/forms/drml-program-registration-a-march-2022/